Monday, August 31, 2009

Caramelized Bananas











In short, "minatamis na saging".
I surmise for many Filipino households, this is quite common. Alongside turon (crunchy, wrapped in rice paper with sugar, jackfruit and deep-fried, maruya (enveloped in batter and panfried) and banana cue; it is a ubiquitous merienda fare.

As a child, I remember adding crushed ice and a little milk. Since we didn't have an ice-shaver, we would put ice cubes in cheesecloth and pound away with a clean hammer. It was one of the many summer treats in my grandmother's house.
Today, I simply enjoy its syrupy goodness with a cup of hot tea.

I got to make a big batch as I was talked into buying 2 "buwig"or bunches-on-a-trunk for peanuts. I also bought 9 kilos of sweet, sweet rambutan freshly picked from the tree with black ants still all over it.

This is one of the things I enjoy in a road trip. The anticipation of the destination and knowing that there will be road-side shopping going home. This was especially exciting as we were on our way to Ugu Bigyan to shop for his beautiful pottery.
Through the years, I've collected his works which grace my dining table and many parts of my home. Plates, bowls, cups, serving dishes,vase, soup tureen, tea pots... so this year my husband and I agreed that what we would like to get are additional statement pieces for our lanai. Apart from pottery, one can simply go there to enjoy breakfast or lunch which showcases tagalog fare. That deserves another blog...

For my version of caramelized bananas, I add a little twist:
20-25 small saging na saba, I think they are called plantains
or about 15 big ones
1/2 c white sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c honey
1/2-1 c water
1 t cinnamon

In a deep pan, combine white and brown sugar. Put on medium heat and wait for the sugars to caramelize a bit. Don't leave the stove as burnt sugar is bitter. Add honey and water and stir. (Sometimes I add a little bit of acid like a tablespoon of lemon juice or juice of 1-2 calamansi).
Add the bananas. My mom advised that I put on low heat because this way, what you get is a chewy, "makunat"texture. Stir once in a while to make sure each banana gets coated. After 30 minutes, the sugar will begin to thicken. Sprinkled the cinnamon and gently mix. If you're like me, you may cook it for another 10 to 15 mintues to get a thicker consistency.

Wonderful as is...or serve with vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment