Saturday, February 6, 2010

Mussels in white wine, post holiday recipe


I'm so sorry, it has been a while since I posted on my blog. Christmas was hectic and January just flew by so fast! Plus, my camera needed a new lense and I just couldn't post without the aid of a picture. To share the meal with you by way of a picture is just so important.

Well, the lense had been purchased finally and more cooking will commence soon.

Let me jumpstart with a simple, simple, SIMPLE recipe. I'm not sure if this is Italian or French, but I do know that it's a favorite of ours. It's an appropriate post holiday recipe, in case you have left over white wine. I find that this recipe is wonderful for two over intimate dinner...and just as great for a dinner of twelve guests.

I order my mussels (tahong) from a nearby grocery that orders it all the way from Roxas City. It's a good deal because it's only about P10.00 more expensive compared to the Cavite source-- yet it's big and plump and sweet. And nary a fear for red tide.

This is a great appetizer, served with garlic bread.
Then, serve a main course of pasta afterwards. And top it off with a simple dessert.
We use the mussel shell to spoon the broth. And slurp to the last drop!


2 kilos mussels, washed, cleaned, bearded and drained
2 T of finely chopped garlic
2 T olive oil plus 3 T butter
1 c white wine
1/2 - 1 c water
salt and pepper to taste
chili flakes


Get a deep pot, heat olive oil and butter until melted. The oil prevents the butter from burning.
Cook the chopped garlic until yellow. Not brown.
Add the mussels, then add white wine and water. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a high boil and cover the pot.

After 5-8 minutes, the shells would have opened and this is a sign that it is cooked.
Stir a bit to make sure the broth bathes each and every mussel.

Sprinkle chili flakes for a subtle heat and serve in a deep bowl, immediately.
Serve with garlic bread. Accompany with a lovely bottle of wine and great music.

No comments:

Post a Comment