- 1 whole chicken breast with bone
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into small squares
- 1 small pack frozen veggies (carrots/corn and peas)--really convenient
- 1 can of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small block cheese, grated (cheddar for a sharper flavor or ordinary cheesefood for everyday cooking. It's affordable and kids like it)
- 1 can good quality cream
- 2 T butter or butter compound
- 1 pack pasta, about 400 gms cooked al dente: spaghetti, linguini,penne
- salt and pepper for seasoning
As I've said, this is really easy to do. The key is preparation. With things in place, it will turn out good everytime.
Boil chicken breast in about 2-3 cups water seasoned with salt and pepper, till cooked. Make sure that the chicken is submerged to ensure even cooking. When done, set broth aside and slice cooked chicken meat into small squares/pieces.
Prepare a deep pan and put on medium heat, add butter and saute the onions till transparent and aromatic, add the green bell peppr, then mushrooms. Continue stirring in the next 3 minutes, then add the cooked chicken and about 2 cups of broth. Should the broth not be enough, just add water. Bring to a boil.
Put the heat on low and add the frozen vegetables, cream and half of the grated cheese. I included frozen veggies for added color and nutrients. (You can blanch your own carrots and peas if you wish) Adjust the flavor with salt and pepper if needed. Immediately add the cooked pasta and turn off the heat. Toss the pasta till totally coated with the chicken-veggie-cream mix. If it appears dry, just add another half cup of broth or milk.
Transfer to a baking dish and top with the rest of the grated cheese. Sometimes, depending on the cream brand and I find the sauce runny, I put the baking dish in the microwave oven for about 3-5 minutes, let it rest a bit then serve.
This is for you Pops!